October 14th 2021
This is the third part of the reverse engineering Oatly Project (Part 1 & Part 2). I’ve done more experimentation and simplified the recipe. Make sure to read the first two parts for more context!
I bought a Brix Refractometer to measure the amount of sugar over time, and found that I could do a single cooking temperature for one hour and get similar sugar levels to the previous recipe.
Also, I made corn milk with this recipe. It wasn’t great. Maybe some more experimentation would help. Weirdly, it smelled exactly like the oat milk.
|Rolled Oats||80 gr|
|Malted Barley||8 gr|
|Canola Oil||22 gr|
*Temperature is critical here; this recipe will be hard to reproduce without an immersion circulator. If the temperature goes much beyond 150F (65C) the enzymes will denature and stop converting the starches in the oats to sugars.
**The toasting is different for different oats. Preheat your oven to 250F (121C), put some oats on a cookie sheet, and set a timer for 4 minutes. At 4 minutes, pull a few oats out to taste. The oats done are when they have a hint of roastiness with no bitter/burnt/off flavor. If they aren’t done, give it another 4 minutes. Different brands of oats we’ve tested have required between 4 and 12 minutes. Instant oats seem to need longer, while fancier non-instant oats need shorter times.